Carve a pumpkin, decorate the house and get the Halloween party started
Mwahahaha…with the most spooktacular day of the year knocking on our door, Skygate has your scariest dreams – or nightmares – covered.
Whether you deck your home out like a haunted house or prefer some more subtle table decorations, TK Maxx has got your back. Giant pumpkins, black cat figurines, hanging skeletons, pumpkin bunting and cushion covers are all in stock at TK Maxx with scarily good prices to match. Group items together in a vignette for maximum wow, adding lots of candles and even some fresh pumpkins for added ambience.
A great activity to do with the kids is pumpkin carving and the Halloween Pumpkin Carving Kit 5 pack from Woolworths ($3) makes it so much easier! Just follow these easy steps:
- Head to Woolies and purchase a whole carving pumpkin... a whole watermelon will work too.
- Use a sharp, serrated knife to cut around the top of the pumpkin to remove the crown like a lid (where the stalk is). Set aside.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds, fibre and flesh and discard.
- Draw a face on the pumpkin with a permanent marker and use the knife to cut out the eyes, nose and mouth (always cut away from you and help your little ones with this part).
- Place a tealight inside the pumpkin, replace the lid and BOO! Jack O’ Lantern complete.
While you’re at Woolworths, don’t forget to pick up some sweet treats for trick or treaters. We recommend choosing single serve, individually wrapped lollies and chocolates to avoid sticky fingers in your bowl!
For another easy activity the whole family can get involved in is DIY cobweb making. Gently stretch out cotton wool balls or chunks of cotton batting, available at Direct Chemist Outlet, until they resemble spider webs. Spray with hairspray to keep the stretched-out cotton together and for extra spookiness, add a few drops of red food dye and a fake spider or three from Bargain Mania.
Given Halloween falls on a Thursday, it’s a great opportunity to ‘spook’ up your kids’ after school treats too, and they don’t necessarily involve lollies! “Boonanas” are the easiest snack with just two ingredients: bananas and chocolate chips. Healthy little pumpkins are cute too. Peel mandarins leaving them whole and insert a celery stick in the middle to replicate the veggie’s stalk. Easy!
And remember, if you run out of tricks or treats, Skygate is home to Queensland’s only 24/7 Woolworths.